This Classic Potato Salad Recipe is cool, creamy, and the perfect side dish for any summer cookout! Easy to make ahead and pairs well with any grilled meat.
Hey friends! It’s Ashley here from The Recipe Rebel and I’m back with a summer classic — potato salad!
I know that most people either love potato salad or hate it, but I think it gets a bad rep for no reason.
The mashed, mushy potato salad in the plastic tubs at the grocery store? Totally understand if you want to stay away from those ones.
But this Classic Potato Salad is loaded with tender chunks of red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and a creamy mayo-based dressing that is subtle and tangy and full of flavor.
This Potato Salad would go perfectly with anything you’ve got on the grill, but especially this Instant Pot Pulled Pork or these grilled chicken recipes.
It’s great for keeping a stash in the fridge during the week to round out easy meals of grilled steaks, burgers, or, hey — even hot dogs! It will last for 4-5 days in the fridge with no problems, so make a big batch and relax a bit this summer!
How to Make Potato Salad:
- Start with the potatoes. You want to choose good potatoes for boiling, ones that are going to cook up nice and creamy. I like red potatoes or little yellow potatoes. I also prefer to choose something with a smooth, thin skin as I refuse to peel potatoes! (If you insist on peeling them before making this salad, then that isn’f a factor for you).
- Add some eggs: you can definitely skip the hard-boiled eggs if you prefer, but I think they add a little variety and some extra creaminess to the salad. Plus, protein!
- Make it your own: add in some fresh chopped dill (my favorite!), some crispy bacon, a splash or barbecue sauce or — gasp — even Sriracha! Feel free to experiment a little until you get your ultimate combination.
- 6 medium red potatoes, finely diced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- paprika for sprinkling overtop, optional
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook potatoes until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well and move to a large bowl to cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Once potatoes are cooled, add eggs.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, chives, milk, vinegar, salt, mustard and pepper and pour over top. Stir to coat, adding additional milk for extra creaminess as desired.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika and extra chives as desired and chill at least 2 hours before serving.