This Cherry Crisp is sweet, juicy and the perfect blend of textures. The crumb topping provides a crisp and buttery flavor to pair with the cherry base. It tastes delightful while its warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top.
Cherries are everywhere right now. My kids LOVE them! I knew we had to come up with a yummy way to use them.
This recipe was a blast to make with my daughter. My daughter helped me pit the cherries and put it together and I knew how much more enjoyable would be to eat once finished because of the fun memories behind it.
This crisp was FANTASTIC! The crumb topping adds a perfect crunch while the cherry base provides a silky smoothness. If you are looking for that perfect summertime treat, pair a warm plate of this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It is heavenly!
Recipe type: Dessert
- 5 cups pitted cherries
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup oats
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large sauce pan combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt and whisk together.
- Add cherries and stir to coat with sugar mixture.
- Turn heat to medium and stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook for 5 to six minutes until cherry mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond extract.
- Pour cherry filling into a pie pan or a cast iron skillet.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until streusel is golden brown.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the flour, oats, salt and brown sugar together. Cut the butter in with a pastry whisk or a fork.
- Sprinkle streusel over cherry filling and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes at 375 degrees F.